- An online access subscription service offering themed digital bookshelves from a range of publishers offering the best fiction and non-fiction for adults and children
- A cost effective way for libraries to serve their entire population 24/7 with concurrent user access
- A complementary service to libraries’ existing digital resources such as online reference and downloadable eBooks
- A means for libraries to attract new users
- A source of themed digital shelves from a range of publishers, with over 60 English language shelves available in the UK and with the addition of German, Arabic and Danish language shelves, with more coming soon
- Sold on an annual subscription to library authorities after a free trial period
- Easy 24/7 concurrent access for users in and out of libraries. Accessed through library terminals, library wifi or remotely through the library’s website.
- The Public Library Online is accessible via any internet connected device.
How can I use the public library online?
Use of the Public Library Online is based on your local council authority/library being a subscribed member of the Public Library Online.
To find out if your Library is subscribed please follow this link and then click on your local authority to begin your Public Library Online reading experience.
If you are trying to access the Public Library Online from a computer within one of our subscribed libraries then you will be able to begin reading straight away.
If you are trying to access the Public Library Online from the comfort of your own home or on the go, then you will need to be a member of your public library and have your library card number to hand. You can access via any internet enabled device which has web-browsing capabilities. This includes PC’s, Macs, Tablets, Smart phones and select E-readers.
What are the benefits?
- Offer new choice to readers in how they want to read the best books available; on page or on screen; at the library or at home
- Fit the needs of your community by choosing the shelves to suit your existing audience and the audience that you want to attract
- Reach out into homes of the community using library websites as a place for extended reading
- Encourage shared reading experiences such as reading groups
- Make the most of existing technology to do something new and exciting for your readers
- Fulfill targets for book borrowing through a new route
- Plan your budget to invest to the level that you want for the whole year
- Grow your online library over months and years offering an ongoing new attraction for readers
How do we begin a free trial?
To begin a free trial please collate the following information and email it to email@example.com
- Contact details of relevant person including name, address, email and telephone number
- Confirmation of shelves you would like to trial
- Library card number pattern or range
- IP range(s)
- Number of people served by library authority
We will get straight back in touch with you and set up the trial which usually lasts around 2 weeks and allows you, your colleagues and the general public to trial the service.
How do we subscribe?
If you wish to subscribe then we will follow up with all of the relevant information needed to do so.
To download the Library Set Up Requirements right click and hit ‘save link as…’ This includes all information about trialing and subscribing to the Public Library Online
How do I get involved?
Please contact us if you would like your titles to feature on the Public Library Online.
To download the logos/poster for use on your website/blog/tumblr please right click and hit ‘save link as…’